- One in six people are affected by deafness – that is currently 11 million people in the UK with some form of hearing loss, and this is likely to rise to one in five in the next twenty years
- Deafness includes profound or severe hearing loss (affecting nearly one million UK residents) and other hearing loss, such as age related hearing loss, which affects 40% of over 50 year olds and more than 70% of over 70 year olds.
- There are more than 45,000 deaf children in the UK, plus many more who experience temporary hearing loss.
- Around 6.7 million people could benefit from hearing aids, though on average it takes ten years for people to address their hearing loss.
- Deafness and hearing loss have a significant impact on daily life, including access to information (and education for deaf young people), communication and social inclusion.
- It is not known exactly how many deaf people across the UK use British Sign Language with the highest estimate 75,000, but likely to be higher.
- There are 250,000 people in the UK affected by hearing loss AND sight impairment (deaf blind info)
*details from RNID and BDA and are accurate at the time of publish
That the Deaf community is active and thriving within the wider hearing environment in Coventry, Warwickshire and Solihull.
To support the Deaf, deaf, hard for hearing, deaf-blind and members of the diverse deaf community surrounding the West Midlands community through all walks of life and deliver services to help provide a better quality of living.
1911: The “Warwickshire Deaf and Dumb Institute”, under the umbrella of the “Midland Counties Institute for the Deaf” started. Its members met in the school room at the Congregation Church on Warwick Road, Coventry.
1914: The Institute moved to a meeting room over a watchmaker’s shop at 128 Much Park Street.
9th April 1934: The committee bought Victorian House, Hill Street, which officially opened on December 11th 1935 and the Charities name was changed to “Warwickshire Deaf and Dumb Society”.
May 1950: The Very Rev. Henry J. Fry was appointed as Chairman of the society
1954: Organisation name changes to its current title of Coventry & Warwickshire Association for the Deaf (CWAD).
1963: CWAD registered as a Charity and relocate to a temporary building in Trafalgar Street.
1965: Hertford Place opened to members, with its official opening in March 1966.
14th February 1969: The Very Rev. Henry J. Fry dies. A few years later CWAD agreed to name their centre in his honour and the building became known as the Henry Fry Centre.
1992: CWAD commission its own Interpreting Services Agency
2016: CWAD start a youth group for D/deaf young people and families for D/deaf and Hard of Hearing young people and their siblings, and the hearing children of deaf adults (CODAs).
CWAD continues to strive for a world where the Deaf Community is active and thriving, and has an equal place within the wider hearing world in Coventry, Warwickshire and Solihull.